Clean Up Day Guidelines
City of Chicago Heights 9th Annual Cleanup Day
Date: Saturday, May 13, 2017
Collection Site: Bloom Plaza 1020 Dixie Hwy, Chicago Heights, IL
Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. | Gates will close at 12:00 p.m.
Rates per vehicle: No charge; for Chicago Heights Residents only
The City of Chicago Heights Annual Cleanup Day is a great opportunity to dispose of bulky wastes and discards that are not routinely collected by our weekly hauling service. Chicago Heights Residents may bring approved materials to Bloom Plaza at no cost between 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 13, 2016. All Chicago Heights Residents are urged to begin cleanup efforts now and participate in the Citywide Cleanup and Disposal Drop-Off on May 13, 2016.
• Do not put items in plastic bags.
• Scavenging/Salvaging is not permitted at any time.
• Residents of Chicago Heights only. No commercial haulers.
• A City of Chicago Heights water bill or valid ID must be shown.
• Cars, pickups and small trailers (16’ maximum).
Unloading Procedures: Free Drop Off – Delays Possible
• Ask where to unload.
• Plan to unload your own vehicle within 15 minutes.
Do you have any items that are still reusable? Instead of sending these items to a landfill, please consider donating them so that someone else can use them. Local donation centers in Chicago Heights are Salvation Army (150 N. Halsted Street) or Village Discount (2515 Chicago Road).
Contact Ms. Jessica Mancina, Mayor’s Office of Special Events:
**THE CITY OF CHICAGO HEIGHTS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY ITEM OR LOAD DEEMED NOT ACCEPTABLE**Document Shredding by B-52
- Water heaters, microwaves, washers, dryers, stoves, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, freezers, dishwashers, trash compactors, garbage disposals, water coolers, refrigerators.
- "Large" is defined as a piece of scrap metal too big to fit in the trunk of a car. Examples: swing sets, barbecue grills, bikes, treadmills, lawn mowers, snow blowers.
- "Small" is defined as a piece of scrap metal that you can fit in the trunk of a car.
- Branches must be smaller than three inches in diameter and five feet in length and tied with twine. Place in bundles that can be carried by one person, otherwise, they will not be picked up.
- Brush piles must be no more than what can fit in one level standard-size pickup truck.
- Bagged Yard Waste (Landscaping Bags – no plastic)
- Leaves, grass clippings, sod, stumps, logs, etc.
- Boxed or bundled with twine - under 100 pounds per item.
- Canned paints must be in a solid state with removable lid.
- Roll up carpets and carpet pads and tie them securely.
- Rolls must be less than five feet long and less than one foot in diameter – larger rolls will not be accepted.
Drain any oil, gas and other fluids and remove tires.
- Pile size is limited to what fits in one level standard-size pickup truck.
- Lumber must be stacked and no longer than five feet.
- Remove or bend nails.
- All electronics accepted free of charge.
- Tube CMTs (Computers, Monitors, Televisions) will be accepted for a $20.00 charge through AM Greentek. Fee payable by cash or credit card at time of drop-off.
- Chairs, couches and sofas, etc.
- Disassemble or tie down hide-a-way sofa beds so they cannot open when handled.
- Newspapers, mixed paper, boxboard, corrugated cardboard, glass, plastic containers inside clear, blue recyclable bags.
MATERIALS NOT ACCEPTED
The following items will NOT be accepted:
- No construction materials from businesses or contractors.
- No railroad ties, concrete, bricks, shingles.
- No asbestos.
Exceptionally Heavy and Bulky Items
- No heavy or bulky items such as pianos or organs.
- No motor oil, solvents.
- No fluorescent tubes and bulbs.
- No propane tanks.
- No household chemicals.
- No tubs, sinks, toilets.
- No batteries of any kind.
- No food waste.
- No plastic bags.
***THE CITY OF CHICAGO HEIGHTS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY ITEM OR LOAD DEEMED NOT ACCEPTABLE***