Water Bill Breakdown

Click table to view file as pdf

Water Bill Breakdown image

Water Service

An application is required if a name is being changed/ added to an account or if the services are being reconnected. The applicant will be required to present a government issued photo ID and may also be asked to provide proof of residency at the service location (lease or mortgage). If the applicant is a landlord, an application for landlords must be completed. If the applicant is a tenant, a current landlord’s application must be on file.

Summary of Steps

  • Make an application for water service.
  • Show proof of identification

Payment Due Date

All bills for water service are due and payable within 15 days from the date of billing. If the bill is not paid on the date due a 10% penalty will be added the current charges. Water bills can be paid on or before the due date.

How to Pay

Payments can be brought into the clerk’s office, Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. or you can use the drop box located in the parking lot of city hall. For drop box or mail please remember to include the right side portion of your bill along with the account number written on your check made payable to: City of Chicago Heights.

Visa or master card payments can be accepted over the phone. Always remember, a final reading must be processed and the bill must be paid in full before the application is approved. You will be notified within 1-2 business days if the application is denied.

Senior Citizen

A senior citizen discount is offered to residents that are 65 years of age and older and residing in a single-family residence. This application is available at the city clerk’s office. Upon approval of this application, the Senior Citizen will receive a 20% discount on the water usage.

The reduced rate will become effective upon the next regular billing date, provided that the application has been filed with and accepted by the city clerk at least 15 days prior to the regular billing date and will apply only to single family dwelling units actually occupied by the applicant.

Follow these steps to obtain a discount:
  • Fill out a Senior Citizen Application.
  • Show proof of identification.
  • Show proof of residency.

Discontinuation of water services

A shut off notice will be issued to accounts that are not paid in full within 15 days from the date of billing. If an account is not paid in full within 15 days of the shut off notice, water services will be discontinued. If water service is terminated for nonpayment, there is a $100.00 turn off fee to restore water service. This fee must be paid in full in additional to the unpaid balance of the account before the water will be turned back on to the property. Any bills for water service remaining unpaid for thirty days after being due are declared delinquent and will be turned over to our designated collection agency. A 30% collection fee will be added on to the delinquent balance.
Collection Agency Information:
MCSI –Municipal Collection Services, Inc. phone: 708-448-6669

Payment Arrangements

An account is NOT eligible for a payment arrangement if the water services have been disconnected for non-payment or if an account is delinquent and has been turned over to the collection agency. Fifty percent (50%) of the balance will need to be paid and the remaining balance is to be paid in bi-monthly installments not to exceed one year from the commencement of the installment agreement.  A payment agreement must be signed and the initial payment must be received in order for the payment arrangement to be valid.  A tenant must obtain the landlord’s permission to set up a payment arrangement.  The Tenant and Property Owner must come to City Hall in person to speak to a Water Billing representative before an arrangement can be set up.

Restoration of Water Services

The Water Department shall reinstate water service to the customer within twenty-four hours of the Water Department’s receipt of the complete payment including all fees. At the time of turning water service back on the owner or occupant must be present. An adult 18 years or older must be home at the time water service is restored.

Before water service can again be fully reestablished, the applicant must:
  • Pay the balance in full.
  • Pay a $100 turn off fee.
  • Pay with Cash, Money Order or Credit Card. Checks are not accepted.
  • Make a new application for water service.

Final Readings

A final reading is required when a customer is selling their property or when a different tenant is being moved in or out of a rental property. It is the owner’s responsibility to schedule an appointment for a final water meter reading. If the owner is selling the property the owner must make sure that the Code Enforcement Department is contacted to schedule for a meter inspection. A meter inspection is not the same as the final bill. The final bill is good for up to two weeks after the date of the final reading. If the bill is not paid in full, within the two week time frame, the owner will need to schedule another final reading. We will not issue transfer tax stamps or approve an application for water services unless a final reading has been completed and paid in full.

New Tenant

If you are a new tenant, please make sure a final reading for the previous occupant has been completed and paid in full and your new tenant application has been completed and submitted to the Water Billing Department.

Tenant Moving

If you are a tenant that is moving out of a property, please make sure that you call the Water Billing office at 708-756-5344 when your final water payment has been completed. This will ensure that your information is removed from the account.

Moving Steps:
  • Schedule an appointment for a final reading at least 2 days prior to the date of your scheduled closing or change of tenant.
  • You will need to be present to give the meter reader access to the inside meter.
  • The final bill will be faxed to the clerk’s office 24 hours after the scheduled appointment.
  • Pay the final bill in full within 10 days.
  • Pay with Cash, Money Order or Credit Card or a check from the attorney’s office handling the closing of the sale. Personal Checks are not accepted.